Monday 30 May 2011

My Stockholm

Several friends who got married recently recommended taking a pre-wedding trip somewhere to relax and unwind a month or so before the wedding day, so Rob and I were happy to follow their suggestion and took a short trip to Stockholm. 
We both really liked the city and these are the things we would recommend:
1. Gamla Stan: this is probably the most peculiar and authentic of all the islands Stockholm is built on.  By the way, did you know that Stockholm is made of 14 islands? This certainly makes the city one of the most intriguing I have ever visited. Gamla Stan is the old part of the city, and like any old part of any city, it is the most interesting one. Here you will enjoy the narrowest streets with the most colourful and beautiful buildings. The main square, Stortorget, is simply a gem. 


2. Another island I really loved is Djurgarden. This used to be a royal hunting ground and now that it's open to everybody it is the city's greenest space and the most visited one on sunny Sundays. Here you'll have to visit the Skansen, a lovely open-air museum and definitely the Vasamuseet, a must in Stockholm. I rarely get impressed, I must say, but this left me speechless! While wandering around the park, take a break in the most lovely cafe' serving the most delicious homemade cakes: Bla Porten.
3. Visit as many tube stations as you can. They all have some art hidden on the platforms. I loved the white and blue cave at T-Centralen.
4. For some authentic Swedish food head to Nalen. I believe I had the best salmon in my entire life there. And speaking of restaurants, you must book a table at the super cool Gondolen. A tip: book a table as late as you can if you visit Stockholm in summer and you'll get the most romantic and amazing sun-set view. Our table was booked for 9.30pm and the sun was about to set.


I am sure there is more that I could recommend but this is it for now. I'll probably go back and tell you more...

No comments:

Post a Comment