Saturday 23 June 2012

A different Saturday

Most of our Saturdays begin with a nice breakfast out in one of the local cafes and then food shopping at Waitrose for the week ahead. We usually have our list of things to buy and by 11.30am are home, ready to start planning lunch. And this morning we did the same, we left the flat at 9.15am, had breakfast and then headed to Waitrose to buy food, but not only food this time. For the first time we found ourselves wandering in the baby care aisle. I am starting to get things organised for the hospital bag, just in case, and we needed a couple of things for the baby, such as cotton wool, wipes, and newborn nappies. The old Vale would have spent half an hour in the beauty aisle looking for the perfect and best scented bath cream, the new Vale spent half an hour staring at diapers! How things change. Apart from the usual suspects, like Pampers and Huggies, there were some obscure brands (at least new to me) that however attracted my attention. In the end, we decided to go with Naty. Naty is an entrepreneurial company that provides ecological options in personal and baby care. I am always up for green options so I decided to give it a try. Once back home I went online and read several reviews, and they all seemed pretty positive. The best features of these nappies are that a) they are eco-friendly (100% chlorine-free - based on biodegradable materials - 100% GMO free) b) they don't smell all chemically c) they don't seem to cause nappy rash d) they can last for long hours and e) they look great (the newborn size nappies are white with little grey hearts on them, aren't they sweet?!).

Now, I am aware of the fact that we will need to test different brands and see what works best for us and the baby, but these seemed a nice option to start with. Do any of you use them? Would you recommend them?

After lunch Rob went out to run some errands and I hand-washed all the little clothes to bring to the hospital for Baby O. The hospital gave a list of things to bring, such as vests, nightgowns, hats, socks, and baby clothes to go home with. I selected three outfits for Baby O, one if it will be very hot, one if the weather will be iffy, and one if it will be cold. You never know in London....


The old Vale and Rob would have spent a Saturday afternoon at the park, walking along the river, shopping, going to the movies or getting ready for a nice evening out. Now, it's all about the baby. Again, how things change! 

The best part of the day, however, was when Rob came back home and asked me to close my eyes. I was resting my legs in bed and immediately closed my eyes getting excited at whatever surprise he had for me. And when I re-opened them, two wonderful baby outfits were laying in bed next to me. Rob didn't have any errand to run, instead he went off to the Ralph Lauren boutique in Bond Street and bought two wonderful dresses for his daughter-to-be. Needless to say, he touched me.

Oh Baby O, we can't wait to have you with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment