Saturday 21 May 2011

The Brickhouse

I have been wanting to write a post about this place since the moment I booked a table; however, now that we have been, I am not quite sure I'll be able to write too many positive things about it.

To celebrate Rob's birthday I booked a table at The Brickhouse expecting a nice four-course meal and some good burlesque entertainment. After all these people have entertained the Arctic Monkeys! The Brickhouse is located in the ever so bustling Brick Lane; a welcoming red velvet curtain is the first thing you spot when you arrive and our taxi driver didn't fail to mention his excitement for "old style places", another word for brothels, I suspect. 

Inside the Brickhouse is anything but old style; minimalistic, black and white furniture and a very modern cocktail bar with a wide range of cocktails are there to make you feel at home. 
When I booked, I asked for a nice table, specifying that we were celebrating a birthday. They took my request quite literally and we were seated in the front row, right below the stage. This meant that Rob was quite the centre of attraction and touched and sung to from the performers. And I am not quite sure he liked that. 

The food was ok. Nothing amazing but fine. My favourite course was the appetiser; I chose a lovely chicory, walnut, stilton and pear salad. My main course, a broad bean, peas and mushroom risotto was acceptable but not great, while the pannacotta was a big disappointment. On a positive side, I really appreciated the rasberry palate cleanser and the cocktails were divine.

While dining we were entertained by Lady Beau Peep and The League of the Extraordinaire. While I enjoyed some parts of the show, I don't mind saying that this wasn't the best burlesque show I have been to. One part of the show even annoyed me, in fact, it bothered Rob too: one of the performers was dressed in a sado maso red mask and black latex trousers and was chained. I really don't like that kind of stuff and I couldn't see the connection with burlesque. Thankfully, his part didn't last long. 

Overall we had a pleasant night out and it was nice to dress up and celebrate Rob's birthday out. However, I am not sure I would recommend the Brickhouse to my friends. There are better similar places in town. 

Heading home I had a thought: how long do you think it would take to try every single restaurant in London? If only I had the time and money...

No comments:

Post a Comment