Tuesday 19 October 2010

Washington DC

I am now back in London after spending 10 lovely days in the East Coast of United States of America.

I first visited Washington six years ago, it was winter, and the city was covered in snow. I loved it and found it very elegant and peaceful, I knew I would be back at some point.

This time, despite the fact that it was already mid-October, it was still very hot and summer time in the American capital. And I enjoyed walking around the city...

Of course, I went back to the Smithsonian and visited museums I hadn't seen last time: The National Museum of Natural History and the National Air and Space Museum. Walking around the Mall was just beautiful, loved all the impressive buildings, the park and the reflecting pool.

This time I was also able to make it to the Jefferson Memorial, a Pantheon inspired building dedicated to President Jefferson, a little gem.

And I couldn't avoid to pay a visit to Lincoln as well.

Being a very good tourist, I had to walk outside the White House too, this time saying hi to Obama. I noticed the kitchen garden and I would have loved to get inside just to check on the status of the courgettes and tomato plants!


While making my way up from the White House I stumbled across this colourful group of statues right outside the Museum of Women in Arts. The statues are by artist Niki de Saint Phalle and the museum is just lovely. It costs 10$ to visit but you also get breakfast and a very lovely atmosphere.

From the Museum of Women in Arts I made my way to Georgetown, presumably the oldest part of the city, or in any case one of the oldest parts. Georgetown is simply beautiful, head to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal for some picturesque little houses and shop the high street for famous as well as local designers. You can spend a lot of time there! And if it's late evening already, I suggest eating at Mie n Yu for a nice dinner. The restaurant itself is worth a visit and the food is simply delicious. Treat yourself while in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment